The main goals of daily management of diabetes are to:
• Maintain normal growth and development
• Keep blood sugar levels within a target range (not too high, not too low); and
• Promote healthy well-being
The key to well-managed diabetes is a good balance between food, exercise and insulin. Children with Type 1 diabetes must follow blood check, insulin injection and snack schedules. This is important as the smallest of changes from a child’s diabetes care plan can cause blood glucose levels to rise or fall.
Food raises blood glucose levels, while insulin and exercise lower them. A good diabetes care plan includes:
• Eating reasonably, consistently and on schedule
• Regularly testing blood glucose levels
• Adjusting insulin based on blood glucose levels and activities
• Regular exercise
Aiming for ‘normal’ blood glucose levels will also help prevent or delay the development of diabetes related complications.